Sunday 29 August 2010

21st Century Laziness.

It never ceases to amaze me how lazy our culture has become over the past few years. Take the advert for the Brennan JB7 cd player -
"The problem with cds is that it's quicker to make a cup of coffee than dip into a cd. Try timing how long it takes to pick a cd, load it into a cd player, play a snippet from a track or two, eject it and put it back where it came from."

Oh my goodness, the hardship! What an unbelievable amount of time wasted, don't you think? Not! And why would you want to play a snippet or two? Just play the damn thing. It doesn't take long to pull a cd out of the case and slide into the cd player. There, job done. Sit back, relax, and listen to it.

I remember the time when cds replaced vinyl, they were saying, "No more having to get up halfway though an album and flip it over for side 2. We can now listen to a whole album without getting up off our arses." Well, they didn't put it in those exact words, but I'm sure you get my drift.

The point of the advert is the Brennan JB7 cd player stores up to 5,000 cds and you don't have to worry about putting cds on anymore. What a load of nonsense. How long will it take you to trace the songs or an album you want to play in this cd player? Oh my goodness, valuable seconds. No shorter time than what it takes to put on a good old cd.

It is sheer utter laziness. Everything these days can be done for us with the convenient pressing of buttons -


1. We don't get up to answer the telephone anymore - it's right there on out laps or in our pockets.
2. We don't get up to change channels on television anymore - our trusty remote controls do the work.
3. We don't have to go to the bank anymore - your account is right there on the internet.
4. We don't have to go to the shop anymore - order what you want on the internet and wait for it to be delivered.
5. We don't have to go to the supermarket anymore - order what you want on the internet and wait for it to be delivered.


When I buy and listen to music, I like the disc, case, and album information in my hands. Not a cd player with thousands of songs stored in it already. That's why I have never downloaded a song from the internet. I prefer the physical product in my hands.

Yes, call me old fashioned if you like. Is it old fashioned not to be lazy? Fair enough. I will continue to go to the trouble if finding the cd I want to play and sliding it into the cd player. Oh, the bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment